1. He is an awesomist. After seeing a meme on Facebook and much discussion about the meaning of 'optimist',' pessimist' and 'realist', Flex decided that he always looks for the awesome in life, and so, classifies as an 'awesomist'.
3. He is funny. He adores comedy of all kinds and has spent many hours studying comedic masters like Jack Black and Jim Carrey. He has fabulous timing and never misses an opportunity to slip in a gag. So because of him, I laugh a lot.
5. He told me off the other day. We had friends over and I was taking them for a spin in the tinny (boat). Well, flex ran down from the house waving life jackets and yelling at me to stop. He told me that going out without life jackets was stupid and irresponsible and dangerous...and he was right. He was genuinely scared for the safety of his friends. I love him for doing that.
6. He is a foodie. For his birthday dinner we went out for Chinese and he ordered the duck in orange sauce. I was all about spring rolls and honey chicken at his age!! His favourite excursion this year was a day at the Sydney fish markets with our gourmet neighbour. I asked him to choose some cheese for our work Xmas party and he finds the black label smoked cheddar. He can cook the best salt and pepper squid and runs his own sausage stand....I could go on but it's making me hungry!
8. He knows himself. Already, at this tender age, he is really able to understand what makes him tick and what makes him ticked off. He knows to give himself space when he needs it. I hope more than anything else, that he carries this self awareness with him throughout his life.
9. He is fiery. He is strong and passionate and honest and challenges me on so many levels, and because of this, he is my greatest teacher.
10. He is mine. Nuff said.